Craftsman (Aka: Walker Turner) 24" Scroll Saw 1930’s
Im nearing the end of my Scroll saw rebuild.
Having 2 of them I found the first one at a mechanic shop. We bartered the saw for some work rendered. After taking it home and doing a prelim inspection I discovered the gear/drive box was broken 1: the casting part that held the table in place was completely broke off. 2: the side of the case where the pulley was was warped. I deduced that the saw must have fallen on its side. I completely took the unit apart in hopes of repairing the case. I was able to repair the casting part that broke off. But not the warped portion where the pulley snout was. So Knowing I would not be happy with it. I started trolling the internet for replacement parts. After several months One came up on ebay. It was located in Ohio. (and me in Fla.) Hmm how to get it here if I win the auction??? Well I won the auction (it was in pretty darn good shape). Lucky for me I had a friend who lives in Ohio. Kenny was Kind enough to both pick it up and hang onto it until some was heading to Fla. well Months later It was here! So off I went. I completely took it apart. Re painted all the parts. Laser cut out new Gaskets for the motor/gear/ drive box. As well as laser cut out a new felt plunger for the air pump. Laser cut out a zero insert plate. mounted a new switch assembly. as it did not even have one. You had to plug and unplug the unit. I stitched up a new Ultra suede dust boot. for the top of the gear box plunger. new SS hardware for the entire unit. The motor base plate casting was broken so I made a new one out of aluminum. I used my old base legs from and Atlas lathe.
Post Pics below
Link belts are the best!
I decided the paint the entire part yellow. easier to see eh?
Not sure why all the tapped holes in the table both of them have the same ones.
Need a new switch plate. This one is temporary.
Gear/Drive box got new gaskets, and a fresh oil change too. “the works”
Im not to happy with the crappy air blower holder I have to come up with a new design but the old one will suffice till I can come up with a new one. I still have yet to make the Zero insert plate. but it’ll be done by the end of the day.
This is the switch location. I used the orig holes that were already in the upper casting.
Old Switch location mount holes? (Above)
Used the upper entry hole as a tool holder! (Above)
Surprising the motor runs darn nicely. Gotta love old parts.
I have to clean up the wiring as I was out of nice eye ring terminals but its temporarily wired. As well as cabling restraints.
Close up of the new boot I sewed up. its made from Ultra Suede and should last many many years.
I know the Wire Straps look like crap. But I have yet to decide if I really want to drill a hole in the upper support.If and when I do the wires will be gone. it’ll look better but then I’ll have the Hole!… Just cant do it ….yet?
The box came with the standard hole So I decided to use it for the Blade bolt tool. Knurled alum tubing. no way to over tighten the wing bolts.
My Saw did not come with the nice blower attachment. It had some crappy spring setup. So this is my version of the blower attachment. all aluminum with a copper blow tube.
I dont think the wiring it too safe. these days a person cant fart without breaking some law somewhere. But it’s plenty safe for me. plus I like the old sk00l look of the knobs.
Probably should paint the brackets to keep it looking the same. All my projects have some unfinished piece. why should this project be any different? very Skeptical it’ll get done now. time to put this piece to work!
This is the only hole I drilled / added to the entire saw.
I have no idea what these 2 holes were for.? perhaps the power switch?
The knurled tool.
- Clean up wiring(Done)
- Belt/pulley cover?(un-decided)
- light?(yet to be determined)
- deal with blower holder(done)
- repair/rebuild/replace the upper and lower screws that are used to tighten the blades. their both bent.(done)
- Add a small drawer to hold related parts. blades etc..(next wood project Ill make a drawer)
Oh and look for my pre pics. (having looked I have yet to find them!. Darnit…
Here is a great site “Vintage Machinery” for looking at this very model as well as many others.
Thanks! now I’ll enjoy my new to me Scroll saw!
I might be offering a partial rebuild kit for these. The parts would consist of a GearBox side gasket, Plunger gaskets, a gearbox upper bellows sock and a few zero clearance inserts.
I have collected 3 files relative to this saw. And, perhaps even yours. (all DL’s require a password.)
(Download link below)